Nutrition Therapy & Counseling
We offer Functional Medicine Nutrition in our office, through our Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist Tasha Picciarelli (Board for Certification of Nutrition Specialists). Functional Medicine Nutrition is the gold standard in advanced medical nutrition therapy. Its goal is to address the root cause of disease instead of just managing symptoms.
Through a personalized whole-foods diet, high-quality supplements and lifestyle and natural therapy counseling, Functional Medicine Nutrition supports the body to naturally heal itself.
This approach to nutrition can help patients with:
- Weight loss
- Food sensitivities (gluten / dairy / other)
- High blood pressure
- High triglycerides
- Insulin resistance or intolerance/blood sugar control
- Sugar cravings
- Autoimmune Diseases
- Crohn’s disease
- Celiac disease
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Chronic gut issues/Digestive issues (cramping / constipation / diarrhea/ bloating – typically these are food sensitivities that the person may not be aware of)
Many of us are nutrient deficient (vitamins, minerals, antioxidants) which leads to poor health and chronic diseases. Some causes of nutrient deficiencies include processed and nutrient-poor foods, gut malabsorption, chronic illness, aging and lifestyle.
Additional conditions associated to some extent with nutrient deficiencies include:
- Stress, anxiety
- Poor wound healing
- Skin disorders (eczema, psoriasis, acne, dermatitis herpetiformis, among others)
- Hormone imbalance
- Mood disorders
TThe functional medicine approach views the body as one complete integrated system and involves understanding origins, prevention and treatment of complex chronic diseases and to improve overall health and well-being. Through a consultation, an educated approach is formulated to ensure consideration of biochemical individuality, genetic predispositions and functional health status. The partnership with each individual patient is key to adapting an integrative approach supported by evidenced-based research, lab work and clinical experience.
Nutrition patients receive a customized dietary and supplement protocol that adequately supports her / his functional health status. This holistic approach addresses individual requirements to allow the body to adequately health itself thus improving overall health, vitality and well-being.
The process optimizes an individual’s health and nutrition status, strengthens the body’s processes and digestive function while supporting the body’s natural detoxification process.
Benefits of working with a Certified Nutrition Specialist:
- Faster healing and shorter recovery time with less bruising and swelling for surgery patients
- Improved scar / wound healing
- Functional lab work and tests determine possible nutritional deficiencies
- Prevent chronic diseases
- Improving the body's systems and functionality
- Sustainable weight loss
- Better, improved overall health!